Sunday, April 2, 2017

Specialty Dining on Norwegian- Cagney's Steakhouse Review

                             

Cruisers who love meat, and even those who don't are sure to find an evening at Cagney's enjoyable. This steakhouse is on Norwegian Ships and is a specialty dining venue- so you will pay for the food, unlike the main dining rooms which are complimentary. You have two options for dining at Cagney's which are to pay a la carte for you food or to buy the SDP (Specialty Dining Pan) to use for an entree, soup or salad, appetizer and dessert of your choice. Many cruisers on NCL receive the SDP as a perk when booking as well. The benefit for using one night of your SDP at Cagney's is the ability to order whatever you wish and not have to add up the cost as you go. Here is a look at the latest menu for Cagney's from The Pearl in March 2017- with up to date pricing for the various items:

As you can see the prices are quite reasonable compared to steakhouses like Fleming's and Ruth's Chris on land. The steak pictured above was mine-the 8 oz filet mignon. The quality of the beef was outstanding- cooked to a buttery softness and extremely flavorful. My husband enjoyed the Ribeye~

My son loved the bison at Cagney's! He decided to try something new and even had them prepare it Cajun style and add a chimichurri sauce on the side.

Here are photos of the Wagyu beef sliders, Mexican Caesar salad and the lump crab salad, and we loved all of it!




As you can see from the photos the servings are substantial but not overabundant. This allows for diners to try more from the menu and not be stuffed after their appetizer! :) We asked how many sides we could order and our sever said "like three or so per person". We actually ended up ordering about 11 sides for the three of us but I really wanted to try everything! We did not get charged anything extra with our SDP plan. The sides are small though- for example-there were 4 small onion rings as a side. This is fine for one persons side item, but as we all shared the sides it left us fighting for that last yummy onion ring! :) Here is a photo of several of the side items brought to the table:

The beets were a refreshing new addition to the side menu and we always love the mushrooms. The scalloped potatoes were a favorite of mine on the Getaway but they have changed the recipe for the potatoes to be more like a gratin or potato cake. My son loved them though! 
Of course desserts at Cagney's are decadent and delicious-but I don't think I ever really enjoy them as much as I could as I am stuffed from dinner! Some fellow cruisers have told me they get their dessert in a to go container and put it in their cabin for later in the evening, so perhaps I will try that on the Sky in August. We chose the raspberry creme brulee, the citrus fruit salad and the chocolate brownie. A macadamia nut ice cream cookie sandwich, apple crisp and Oreo cheesecake were also offered. The dessert prices ranged between $4 and $6~ we were too stuffed to remember to take a picture of the menu! LOL :) I do remember the creme brulee being a bit more flavorful on the Getaway but the desserts were definitely yummy. 




There is a varied selection of seafood and other types of meat on the Cagney's menu, and cruisers who have special diets are welcome to let the staff know and they will gladly make accommodations for you. The atmosphere of Cagney's is  classic and comforting-and it always smells so good! If you are thinking of choosing to dine at Cagney's check out the menu and see if it works out better for you and your family to dine with the SDP or pay a la carte prices. Whatever you choose you are sure to be satisfied! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hmm it seems like your site ate my first comment (it
    was super long) so I gess I'll just sum it up wyat I wrote and
    say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiribg blog writer but I'm still
    new to the whole thing. Do you hve any tikps for beginner blog writers?
    I'd relly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I am glad you are enjoying my blog! :) I guess my tip would be to just start writing! :) Get a free blogspot and type away! Getting everything up and online is half the battle! :) Good luck!

      Delete